Sunday, December 2, 2007

Poetry Analysis

The Lion and the Lamb by Elinor Wylie

1.I saw a Tiger's golden flank,
2.I saw what food he ate,
3.By a desert spring he drank;
4.The Tiger's name was Hate.

5.Then I saw a placid Lamb
6.Lying fast asleep;
7.Like a river from its dam
8.Flashed the Tiger's leap.

9.I saw a lion tawny-red,
10.Terrible and brave;
11.The Tiger's leap overhead
12.Broke like a wave.

13.In sand below or sun above
14.He faded like a flame.
15.The Lamb said, "I am Love;
16.Lion, tell your name."

17.The Lion's voice thundering
18.Shook his vaulted breast,
19."I am Love. By this spring,
20.Brother, let us rest."

The poem
"The Lion and the Lamb" by Elinor Wylie exemplifies the fact that love always triumphs over hatred. I personally like this poem because (this is going to sound dumb) I like lions and tigers (and bears. Oh my!) and I think that the comparison of them to love and hate is interesting. You can tell right away that this poem is going to be a happier one because of the diction used by Ms. Wylie. The tiger is said to have a "golden flank" (1) which instantly gives the poem a regal, sort of boisterous air (sort of like how one feels when walking into an ostentatious house).

After such an air is put on it is shown that the Lion, representing love (19), easily triumphs over the tiger, hatred. Wylie shows readers this through the lines,
I saw a lion tawny-red,
Terrible and brave;
The Tiger's leap overhead
Broke like a wave (9-12).
I think that the poem is beautifully written (it is the same author as Sea Lullaby) and it's message is very much that of a Jane Austen novel or a fairy tail. Wylie's diction and metaphors comparing Love and Hatred to Lions and Tigers helps prove her point that love will always triumph over haterd.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

Love WILL always triumph over hatred.
This is a wondefull poem.
I actually completly and fully with its message.
Nice analysis. :D

Maitland said...

Ahhh Aliza.... or should I say Dorothy? I realy like this poem. It's imprtant in this world of chaos that we realize that although we won't always have only good things happen to us, it is better to love than hate. Thanks!

Mounica said...

Hey Aliza...I like this poem too. The message is sooo sweet but it isn't all lovey dovey. So, it is interessing and happy to read. Also, I love tigers too, which is actually really really wierd cuz I am scared of a kitty kat but I have still always wanted to pet a tiger.

seang said...

I think this is a very interesting poem...But i still like it. I feel that its message is a true one as well, that nothing can stand in the way of true love for someone or something

Anne Erickson said...

Aliza! I'm glad that you chose an Elinor Wylie poem. It's nice to see a poem happier that his "Sea Lullaby." To tell you the truth I didn't instantly understand the meaning until you explained it, so kudos for that! Anyway...your analysis covered the devices use and the overall meaning so great job!

Amanda A. said...

I really like this poem, good choice! It is alot different than the other Elinor Wylie poem from our packet which is darker and more sinister quite frankly depressing. But there are similarities with the personification in both of them. I like the central message too!